WELCOME TO THE RELIANCE SOCIETY
If you've received an invitation to the Reliance Society, please register your online account.
Complete your membership by creating your profile and signing up for the Online Reliance Society Portal.
We look forward to your active participation in the Reliance Society; an impassioned cohort of generous contributors who provide essential support to the museum and whom we gather together, in gratitude, for thoughtful and provocative events and activities.
What is the Reliance Society?
Reliance was the 1903 America’s Cup defender, the fourth defender from the world-renowned builder Nat Herreshoff, and reportedly the largest gaff-rigged vessel ever built. From the tip of her bowsprit to the end of her boom she measured 210’. Her mast from the waterline was 199ft. Her able-bodied crew numbered 64, given it’s massive sail area it was a necessary luxury.
117 years later, the nascent Reliance Society membership stands at 88 strong. In that we desire to deliver with excellence, events and activities, that are intimate and, appropriately, awe-inspiring we intend to limit membership to twice the size of her original crew. We hope our able-bodied and inaugural members will defend and advocate on behalf of HMM’s Reliance Society and support that growth. HMM continues to have a massive sail area; today it is home to the America’s Cup Hall of Fame; programming which includes sail education, workforce development, historical preservation and exhibition; and a world-class museum with a fleet of stunning Herreshoff vessels.
We value your commitment to the mission of the Herreshoff Marine Museum. The Reliance Society is simply one vessel from which we intend to demonstrate our gratitude.
Reliance Society Members will be invited to participate in:
- • White Glove tours of Museum collections Model Room, Restoration Shop, Curatorial Vault and special accessions.
- • Private Wine, Craft Beer & Spirits tastings- Hosted ‘Happy Hours’ at Peacock Alley House (PAH).
- • Summer Lunch & Lecture with HMM President Bill Lynn at New York Yacht Club.
- • Curated overseas trip to Americas Cup Races and/or Hall of Fame Induction ceremonies.*
- • Day Trips to local maritime museums by bus or boat.*
- • Herreshoff Sailboat racing on Narragansett Bay.
- • On-The-Bay Outings including picnics, cocktails, sunset tours and more.
- • Grandparent & Grandchild High Tea Party in Hall of Boats followed by boat rides.
- • Pre-Party receptions at PAH for major events.
- • Recognition at Gala and reserved VIP Tables. *
- • Replica Prints of conic historic images from the collection.*
- • House Dinner Parties or Luncheon Garden Tours ‘For Members Only’ hosted by members.
- • Calendar (annual) of Maritime Photos by prominent maritime photographers.
- • Large Herreshoff Museum Burgee.
- • Backyard BBQ co-hosted by Board Chair and Executive Director.
- • Wednesday Night potluck receptions at PAH watching Bristol Yacht Club races, no host, BYOB.
- • Super Bowl or Kentucky Derby parties at PAH.
- • Complimentary tickets to Newport Int’l. Boat Show.
- • Group outings in Historical Newport.
- *Additional terms may apply.
You are invited to become a part of our flagship giving group, the RELIANCE Society. Be an active part of the Herreshoff Marine Museum / America's Cup Hall of Fame, a growing institution, dedicated to preserving the heritage of the Herreshoff Manufacturing Company and its founders, brothers Nathanael Greene Herreshoff and John Brown Herreshoff. Enjoy our exhibits, special events, active waterfront and Sailing School. As a member, you will receive special benefits while supporting the Museum's programs.
Donate $3,000 annually for 5 years and enjoy exclusive behind-the-scenes access to the Herreshoff collection, receive a beautiful brass compass, the book Herreshoff of Bristol, as well as special membership privileges, including invitations to RELIANCE Society events.
Included during your pledge years are:
- Tours of the NGH Model Room
- Invitation to special events and activities
- Free admission to the Museum and Library
- Reciprocal free admission to over 60 maritime museums
- Access to boat rentals, including Herreshoff 12 1/2's Bullseyes, Sea Sprite 23's and a Cape Dory Typhoon
- Subscription to our publications
- Free admission to Museum Lecture Series
- 15% off dockage at the Museum
- 15% discount on all Museum Store purchases
Request More Information
Join the Team!
The Museum Staff would love to talk to you about the the Society
Individuals and businesses whose protection cannot be compromised require a different approach to risk management. At Gowrie, their unique history has afforded them a deep understanding of complex risks. They offer some of the most comprehensive, cost-effective insurance, employee benefits, and financial services solutions available today. When you work with Gowrie, you'll see how committed they are to keeping communication simple, providing expert advice, and delivering the creative and customized solutions you need. An approach that has instilled a sense of calm and confidence in their customers since 1974. Their 150+ dedicated professionals – located in their primary offices in Westbrook CT, Darien CT, Marshfield MA, North Kingstown RI, and Newport RI – stand ready to help you.
A unique cruising magazine celebrating the Down East coast Cruisers who come to the Gulf of Maine have a special fondness for the region's unique marine assets, from its skilled craftsmen to its quiet, secluded harbors to its pristine environment. Points East represents the Down East cruising culture. Points East celebrates it and gives it voice.
PURE Insurance Company
Privilege Underwriters Reciprocal Exchange (PURE) is a policyholder-owned insurer dedicated to creating an exceptional experience for responsible high net worth individuals and families. Their product suite includes best-in-class, customizable coverage throughout the U.S for high-value homes, automobiles, jewelry, art, personal umbrella liability, watercraft, and flood.
Nantucket Vineyard was the first arm of our business opening in the early 1980’s as a small project of the Long Family. After a few years, Winery employees ended up falling in love with the wine and each other, and voila! – Cisco Brewers was born on the Hudson’s stovetop in 1995. Whispers of a brewery floated on the Nantucket wind, catching the ear of a few people, including a Mr. Harman. Using the previously tested and proven formula of starting a business from another business, Winery and Brewery employees enjoyed a few glasses / pints (respectively) together and hatched the idea for Triple Eight Distillery in 2000. All three businesses are constantly evolving, and we now produce a wide variety of world-class wines, beers, and spirits. Come out and enjoy our Nantucket haven- just prepare yourself in case your mind blows up from all the awesomeness.
From its founding, Pella has always been about providing innovative windows and doors that do more than frame the landscape — they make life easier with meaningful details that matter every day. Pella has a proud 85-year history of environmental stewardship and has been recognized for its energy efficiency leadership and sustainable business practices. From the company's founding, Pella has been a leader in technology and product innovation. In fact, they've been awarded more than 100 product and design patents. Products and features now commonplace throughout the window industry — like the tilt-wash double-hung window — were invented by Pella engineers.
American Cruise Lines
American Cruise Lines provides guests an extraordinary river cruising experience while exploring the historic waterways of the United States. Cruise in comfort aboard our modern fleet of river boats and paddlewheelers. Enjoy luxurious accommodations, exceptional cuisine, and personalized service on every cruise.