Programs start this Spring
401-253-5000 x220 for questions
One Burnside Street
Bristol, RI, 02809 USA
The Herreshoff Marine Museum offers unique & interactive youth and adult sailing classes for the summer and fall. The mission of the Herreshoff Seamanship Program is to teach the art of seamanship and the principles of sailing, with an emphasis on excellent instruction, as well as the design, beauty, and unique features of these classic vessels. All classes are taught on our Herreshoff 12 ½s – 16 foot wooden sloops with jib, main & spinnaker – or our Sea Sprite 23s on the Narragansett Bay. Class sizes are limited and will be filled on a first come, first serve basis.
Updated as of May 22, 2020: The Herreshoff Marine Museum based on the guidance Issued by the state of Rhode Island for summer camps has implemented the following changes for summer sailing camp.
We will be modifying the drop off and pick up procedures to eliminate the forming of groups of people and take into account the need for social distancing.
All staff and campers will be screened verbally upon arrival at camp using the state's self attestation form. Anyone who answers yes to any of the questions will not be permitted to participate in camp and be sent home.
Visitors during the camp day. Trips to Prudence Island will not occur this summer and our popular Friday cook out and awards will be limited to staff and campers only.
We will be utilizing “stable groups” in our program, and our groups will be based on state guidelines of 15 people or fewer. As a sailing program, our groups in a boat on the water will be smaller than that as boat groups are typically 6 people or fewer.
We will also be reducing the total number of campers per session to fewer than 50 participants.
Your child will be with the same children each day and the same instructors. They will sail on the same boat during the course of the session. All staff will use masks during camp, and although it is not required, campers will be asked to use masks as well while sailing.
Camp will be conducted on the waterfront and under the tent to allow for the state recommended distance of 14 feet between stable groups and personal social distancing within groups. The classroom at 17 Burnside street will not be utilized for camp activities due to its small size. Facilities will be installed on the waterfront to allow for frequent hand sanitizing and all campers will be encourage to do so multiple times per day.
All high-touch camp equipment will be sanitized multiple times per day. This will include the bathrooms in the museum and the boats we will be using in the sailing program.
Life jackets will not be provided due to the difficulty in cleaning and sanitizing them. Each sailor must provide their own life jacket.
As we continue to learn more from the state, we will update and modify our procedures to comply with recommended practices.
We will continue to modify our standard policies which we hope will make it easier for you to make the decision to enroll:
- - The minimum amount required to enroll your child in summer camp to 10% down with the balance due on July 1, 2020. This should make it easier for you to hold a spot in the event that our class sizes are limited.
- - The revised the cancellation policy as follows: Full refunds will be issued to withdrawals received before the start of the Session. In addition, we have waived the administrative fees for the 2020 season. You may also request to transfer your registration to a session later in the summer if there is space available in that session or receive full credit for for the amount paid toward the 2021 season.
We’re all waiting and hoping for good news, and now it is here. Summer camp may look different this year than it has in the past but the importance of camp in a child's development has not changed, the memories, friendships and shared experiences will still be created this summer on the water. Here at the Herreshoff Marine Museum we are dedicated to providing the best summer camp experience possible. We can't control the wind but we can adjust the sails, we hope to see you this summer.
On behalf of your museum staff, we hope you’re staying safe and sane in the midst of these uncharted waters.
For ages 7-15, programs range from Spring & Fall to our Summer Seamanship Program.
Never too old to learn! Join us throughout the summer for group or private lessons.
SPRING & FALL YOUTH PROGRAM
May 18 - June 10, Mondays & Wednesdays, 4:15-6:15pm. 4 weeks – $250
September 8 - October 8, Tuesdays & Thursdays, 4:15-6:15pm, : 5 weeks – $275
YOUTH SUMMER CAMP PROGRAM
Camp Activities Highlights: Prudence Day, Sail to Hog Island, Awards & family BBQ, and family sail Fridays. Campers learn to sail on Herreshoff 12½s, Sea Sprites, Bullseyes, Hobie Cats & Bic O'pen
Sessions & Dates:
- Session 1 – June 22 - June 26
- Session 2* – June 29 - July 3
- Session 3 – July 6 - July 10
- Session 4* – July 13 - July 17
- Session 5 – July 20 - July 24
- Session 6* – July 27 - July 31
- Session 7 – August 3 - August 7
- Session 8* – August 10 - August 14
- Session 9 – August 17 - August 21
Schedule & Fees:
- Monday - Friday: 8:45 - 3:30
- One Week Full Day - $350
- 2nd Week Full Day - $325
- 3rd + Weeks Full Day - $300
Note: Includes Family Membership
Contact us to learn more
- Contact us for details and applications
FULCRUM FLIGHT SCHOOL - UFO Foiling Clinics
Has your child always wanted to learn to fly? Here’s their chance! New for 2020 The Herreshoff Marine Museum has teamed up with Fulcrum Speedworks to offer Fulcrum Flight School - UFO Foiling Clinics this summer at the museum for sailors ages 12 - 15 with previous dinghy sailing experience.
Foiling is no longer just for highly-trained professionals on Moths and America's Cup yachts. Foiling is for everyone, including junior sailors, and the UFO is the ideal platform for learning how to foil. Fulcrum Speedworks, builders of the foiling UFO, will be offering a total of 4 clinic days this summer. *The days are scheduled during sessions 2, 4, 6, and 8 of the Herreshoff Summer Sailing Program and are coached by a member of the Fulcrum Speedworks coaching staff.
Fulcrum Flight School Highlights:
- Learn how to foil on the most accessible and easiest to use foiling dinghy on the market, the foiling UFO.
- Professional coaching from a staff member at Fulcrum Speedworks, builders of the foiling UFO.
- Class size will be limited to 3-4 foiling students. We've found foiling can be very tiring when you're just getting started, so we'll be switching sailors on and off one UFO. Switching off the UFO and watching another student foil allows the learning to continue while you catch your breath.
- Plus with junior sailors the UFO can be sailed one, two or even three up depending on sailor size.
- And to get smaller sailors started on the path to success the coach can come along for the ride, too.
This summer 16 lucky kids are going to have the time of their lives! Is it going to be yours? Sign up today for the Fulcrum Flight School as part of the Herreshoff Summer Sailing Program. Questions? Contact Kirk Cusic at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DATES & TIMES
- Beginner: Tues/Thur 5:30 - 8pm starting June 2 through August 20 OR Weekends 1:00-6:00
- Intermediate: Mon/Wed 5:30 - 8pm starting June 2 through August 19 OR Weekends 1:00-6:00
- Women's Sail: Wednesdays 5:30 - 8pm starting June 3 through August 26
- Family & Friends Sail: Weeknights 5:30-8pm starting May 18th
- Beginner & Intermediate: $275 for 6 weeknight classes or $300 for 2 weekend classes
- Women's Sail: $50 per class
- Family & Friends Sail: $150 for up to 4 people
Note: All Packages expire at the end of the season.
Private Lessons Available
- Weekdays or Weekends
- Rates are per person per lesson with a two hour minimum.
Sailboat Rental Program
Take part in our unique rental program of our Herreshoff 12½s and fiberglass boats! All boats utilized in the Sailing School are available for rental. Participants must join the Museum at the Columbia level and take a checkout sail with a sailing instructor to demonstrate sailing ability. Have a great summer sailing without all the hassle of boat ownership!
- Affordable hourly/seasonal rates
- Unlimited FREE guests
- Stable, seaworthy, & easy to sail boats!
- Seasprite Racing Season Charter available
401-253-5000 x 220
Individuals and businesses whose protection cannot be compromised require a different approach to risk management. At Gowrie, their unique history has afforded them a deep understanding of complex risks. They offer some of the most comprehensive, cost-effective insurance, employee benefits, and financial services solutions available today. When you work with Gowrie, you'll see how committed they are to keeping communication simple, providing expert advice, and delivering the creative and customized solutions you need. An approach that has instilled a sense of calm and confidence in their customers since 1974. Their 150+ dedicated professionals – located in their primary offices in Westbrook CT, Darien CT, Marshfield MA, North Kingstown RI, and Newport RI – stand ready to help you.
A unique cruising magazine celebrating the Down East coast Cruisers who come to the Gulf of Maine have a special fondness for the region's unique marine assets, from its skilled craftsmen to its quiet, secluded harbors to its pristine environment. Points East represents the Down East cruising culture. Points East celebrates it and gives it voice.
PURE Insurance Company
Privilege Underwriters Reciprocal Exchange (PURE) is a policyholder-owned insurer dedicated to creating an exceptional experience for responsible high net worth individuals and families. Their product suite includes best-in-class, customizable coverage throughout the U.S for high-value homes, automobiles, jewelry, art, personal umbrella liability, watercraft, and flood.
Nantucket Vineyard was the first arm of our business opening in the early 1980’s as a small project of the Long Family. After a few years, Winery employees ended up falling in love with the wine and each other, and voila! – Cisco Brewers was born on the Hudson’s stovetop in 1995. Whispers of a brewery floated on the Nantucket wind, catching the ear of a few people, including a Mr. Harman. Using the previously tested and proven formula of starting a business from another business, Winery and Brewery employees enjoyed a few glasses / pints (respectively) together and hatched the idea for Triple Eight Distillery in 2000. All three businesses are constantly evolving, and we now produce a wide variety of world-class wines, beers, and spirits. Come out and enjoy our Nantucket haven- just prepare yourself in case your mind blows up from all the awesomeness.
From its founding, Pella has always been about providing innovative windows and doors that do more than frame the landscape — they make life easier with meaningful details that matter every day. Pella has a proud 85-year history of environmental stewardship and has been recognized for its energy efficiency leadership and sustainable business practices. From the company's founding, Pella has been a leader in technology and product innovation. In fact, they've been awarded more than 100 product and design patents. Products and features now commonplace throughout the window industry — like the tilt-wash double-hung window — were invented by Pella engineers.
American Cruise Lines
American Cruise Lines provides guests an extraordinary river cruising experience while exploring the historic waterways of the United States. Cruise in comfort aboard our modern fleet of river boats and paddlewheelers. Enjoy luxurious accommodations, exceptional cuisine, and personalized service on every cruise.